Flea beetles are the extremely tiny insects that jump when disturbed. Even though these beetles are super small, they can quickly move through the leaves of plants, destroying the foliage in its path and spreading diseases.
- Insect netting (floating row covers) provide the best form of protection against flea beetles.
- Applying beneficial nematodes and neem oil can also be effective. Make sure not to apply the neem oil when the temperature is above 90, or else you could suffocate your plant!
- Sprinkle diatomaceous earth over areas you want to protect. Be careful though: DE can harm beneficial insects as well if they come in contact with it.
- Using a yellow sticky trap can trap these adults before they have a chance to lay their eggs.
Plants to Especially Watch:
- Members of the Brassicaceae family, such as:
- Pepper Plants, such as:
- Sweet Potatoes
Learn more about growing over 80 different foods, including how to manage various pests in our FREE iOS, Android, or new Universal Web App!