These small rodents can create quite a challenge in your garden. They create tunneling systems and eat roots along with shrubs and vegetables.
- Cats & dogs are effective hunters of gophers, mice, and other small rodents!
- Flooding the tunnels with water can be effective.
- The gopher hawk is a reusable trap that’s very effective and doesn’t use any chemicals or poisons!
- The Victor Black Box is a reusable trap that’s very effective and doesn’t use any chemicals or poisons!
- You can cover the bottom of your raised bed with hardware mesh to help keep gophers from tunneling into them.
- Solar-powered sonic repellers can also be effective. They create an uncomfortable environment for the gopher by emitting vibrations and sounds into the ground periodically.
Plants to Especially Watch:
Learn more about growing over 80 different foods, including how to manage various pests in our FREE iOS, Android, or new Universal Web App!
We find that the MacAbee Gopher trap, which was incidentally invented in Los Gatos, is the most effective. However, we recently found voles, which are too small for the gopher traps!
Thanks for the advice. I’m constantly searching for better traps. Although I love animals, I can’t tolerate the gophers destroying my garden. Maybe if I had more land it wouldn’t bother me and I may even grow some food for them but if they eat more of my salad than me it’s game on.
We should learn how to live with nature & its creatures. Grow more food plant thyme & basil next to your crops instead of harming gophers.