Birds can be both a pest and an ally in the garden. Birds help with pest control eating a wide variety of insects including aphids, caterpillars, mosquitos, and spiders. On the downside, they will also steal seeds and eat your tomatoes!
- You can protect your seeds by covering them with a layer of burlap or shade cloth. I typically hold it down with a hardware mesh panel because that’ll help keep cats out as well.
- Automated motion-activated sprinklers are a great way to keep birds off of a particular area.
- Bird netting will keep birds off of your tomatoes, berries, and other fruits!
- Scare tape will also help keep birds away from problem areas.
- We also have a couple of fake owls stationed around the garden that are meant to scare birds away. Be sure to move them around every day or so, or the birds will figure out your trick!
Plants to Especially Watch:
- Beans (Bush & Pole)
- Berries, such as:
- Tomatoes (Bush & Vine)