Grasshoppers can consume an obscene amount of 1/2 their body weight in a day! This can account for a lot of damage fast if you have an infestation. Grasshoppers are brown in color with wings, large legs, and antennae.
- Clear out any debris in your garden that grasshoppers can use for cover or laying eggs.
- Use your companion plants to your advantage! The garlic odor can help deter them. You can use a homemade garlic spray or plant garlic around where you have a problem.
- Placing insect netting (floating row covers) over your garden is the best way to prevent grasshoppers from attacking your plants.
- Applying neem oil is also another option for treatment, but make sure not to apply when the temperature is above 90, or else you could suffocate your plant!
Plants to Especially Watch:
Grasshoppers are not normally picky on which plants they eat. They can eat almost anything!
- Flowers, such as:
- Leafy greens, such as:
- Brassicaceae family, such as: