Leaf miners that affect vegetables refers to a small gray-yellow fly. These flies lay tiny white eggs that turn into green maggots. These maggots can destroy the leaves of the plants in your garden.
- As always, prevention is key, which includes placing an insect netting (floating row cover) over your plants.
- Yellow sticky traps have been shown to be effective at catching these pests.
- Beneficial insects, such as green lacewings, ladybugs, and praying mantis, can be helpful to fight the leaf miners.
- Buy green lacewings, ladybugs, and praying mantis from Amazon!
- Applying neem oil has also shown to be beneficial, but make sure not to apply when the temperature is above 90, or else you could suffocate your plant!
Plants to Especially Watch:
Learn more about growing over 90 different foods, including how to manage various pests in our FREE iOS, Android, or new Universal Web App!
One thought on “How to: Manage Leaf Miners in Your Garden”