When we start getting more green beans than we know what to do with, we start to prepare some for freezing so we can have a stash built up for the winter time when we do not have a fresh supply coming in. This simple process is how we make it so we always have green beans all year round.
Items you will need:
- Large pan of boiling water
- Large bowl of ice water
- Green beans!
- Freezer-safe bags
- Sharpie or marker
- Prepare beans by remove any stems and ends that you do not wish to eat.
- If desired, cut into smaller sizes
- Place green beans in a pot of boiling water for 2-4 minutes (depends on the size of green beans, ex: green beans cut up in small pieces would be cooked for 2 minutes and large sizes would be cooked for 4 minutes)
- Place beans immediately into ice bath to cool down rapidly.
- Once cooled, drain water from green beans.
- Place into freezer bag. Make sure to label the contents and date so you can enjoy them later! Place into freezer immediately. Should last up to 9 months in a ziploc freezer bag if packaged properly.
Learn more about growing over 100 different foods, including how to manage various pests in our FREE iOS, Android, or new Universal Web App!