Q: Do I need to start seeds indoors? If so, how do I do that?!
A: It depends. Some seeds should be started indoors because they grow slower than others or the growing season is not long enough outdoors. Some people simply want to start plants indoors to get a head start on the growing season! It’s a lot to keep track of, but you can find out from our free iOS, Android, and Universal web app exact dates and which plants may require an indoor planting time in your area.
Starting seeds indoors does not have to be super expensive or difficult! Check out this video about how we built a 1000+ seed starting station for less than $100!
The best and easiest way to get started growing your seeds indoors is to purchase a self-watering seed starting kit. This has everything you would need to get started growing seeds indoors without having to piece together items yourself.
If you choose to DIY, here are the items that you will need:
- Container: Any type of pot that has some drainage in the bottom will work for seed starting.
- Soil: Seed starting mix or pellets
- Seeds: Burpee has a wide selection of seeds for great prices! You can look at all the varieties through our app and filter through varieties easily to help you pick out what plant is best for you!
- Cover: Covering your containers will help to keep them moist. You can remove this and keep it off once most have sprouted. This can simply be something as easy as cellophane.
- Light: You can place your containers next to a window that receives a lot of sun or you can use grow lights set above the plants. We also use standard shop lights above our baby plants to make sure they get plenty of light.