The adult onion fly resembles the house fly, but smaller. The larvae are legless and creamy-white and will cause the plants to wilt and die.
- Attracting birds or parasitic wasps can help you fight these onion maggots.
- Sprinkling cayenne pepper or chili pepper can help prevent the laying of eggs.
- Placing insect netting (floating row covers) over your garden will help to protect your plants against the onion fly maggot.
- Another prevention is to place sand or diatomaceous earth at the base of the plant to deter adult flies from laying eggs.
- Yellow sticky traps have been shown to be effective at catching these pests.