Cats can be both a pest and an ally in the garden. They prey on mice and other small rodents, but they will also use your raised beds as a litter box!
- One way to help keep cats from walking in your garden is to lay hardware mesh on top of raised beds. Combine with burlap or shade cloth to prevent birds from stealing seeds as well.
- You can also use a motion-activated sprinkler to keep them out of problem areas. This will help scare them away!
- There are also repellents available commercially as well as DIY methods usually involving citrus.
- Another possible solution is to provide a covered litter box near the garden somewhere. Then the cats will be inclined to use that instead of your raised beds and you’ll have the added benefit of rodent prevention!
- If you are dealing with a wild cat and want to attempt to catch it, you could always try buying a live animal cage trap.