Dishwasher detergent was something I never even thought about being able to make. I always just thought it was one of those purchases I had to keep making every month or so. I found this really simple recipe from Happy Money Saver and have found it to be so beneficial! Not only is it simple to make, it works just as well as the store-bought detergent!
- Cheaper than store bought
- You aren’t using harsh chemicals on the things you eat and drink with
- Dishes come out sparkly clean
- Extra time up front to make it
I add all these ingredients to a bowl and mix it together:
- 1 cup kosher salt (or regular salt if that is all you have) – helps with build up from hard water
- 1 cup baking soda – cuts through grease
- 1 cup washing soda – cleans
- 3 packets (approx 1.5 tablespoons) Koolaid lemonade – the added acidity helps break down bacteria and adds a nice smell
I usually double this recipe and make two batches at once. I store all this inside of mason jars under my sink and use 2 tbs in the dishwasher each time I do a load. I do 1-2 loads of dishes a day so this lasts me approximately 4 months and with my large family.
To keep the dishes sparkly fresh, I also add vinegar into the rinse aid section. This works so well you will feel silly buying dishwasher detergent and rinse aid all these years! Let me know what you think!